View from Cathedral Rock, Sedona
After the hustle and bustle of the holidays, you may have a decompression trip at the top of your list for your 2018 goals. To unplug and be surrounded by the magnificence of nature, look no further than Sedona, Arizona.
Whether it's the Vortexes mystical energy, the postcard picture vistas, the colors of the mountains as the sun sets at the end of the day, it's hard to deny that Sedona has a certain something.
In my picture perfect weekend, it involved lots and lots of hiking, incredible meals, massages, tinkering around in a few of the new-age shops and sleepy nights. Here are a few tips:
* It seriously pays to go early. It will change your entire experience. We would leave our hotel room around 7am-8am every day (with a coffee and power bar in tow) in order to be one of the first on the trail. We were able to experience almost our entire hike in the silence of nature and truly enjoy the breathtaking views without large groups of tourists in your horizon. Not to mention that the small parking lots fill up quickly on the popular hikes.
* Visit The Hike House in town to give them a run down of your skill level and desired experience and they will help you narrow down from the overwhelming options and give you some helpful tips (i.e. start at a lesser known trail head for Devil's Bridge).
* Wear legitimate hiking shoes. The red rock can be slippery (like sand) and we saw lots (and lots) of tourists fall due to not having traction on their shoes.
Devil's Bridge Hike, Sedona
* Cress at L'Auberge de Sedona: Constantly evolving, prix fixe dinner menu in a romantic setting down by the creek. Go early to have a drink by the fire pits in the bar area.
* Elote Cafe: A definite must to visit this cult classic. They don't take reservations and open at 5pm. In order to make sure you get a table, show up by 4:30pm to stand in the already growing line and wait for the doors to open. Maybe bring a roadie for while you wait. You won't be disappointed.
*Indian Gardens Cafe & Market: Perfect stop after hiking in Oak Creek Canyon. Darling little backyard patio, delicious food and incredible cider!
Oak Creek Canyon Hike, Sedona
For a truly luxury wellness retreat, choose from one of our Virtuoso properties including: Mii amo, Enchantment Resort or L'Auberge.